Hair loss and hair thinning are the common hair problems we hear the most. It is difficult and hard to find people who say they haven’t faced any hair related problems in their life. There are several myths and facts related to hair loss. Hair loss can be a result of both internal and external factors. Internal factors like stress, eating habits, lack of protein, dandruff, genetics, PCOS and external factors like pollution, usage of chemical products on hair, tight hair styling and so on can trigger hair loss. Let us in detail discuss hair loss, causes of hair loss in women and ways to control it.
Hair loss is a scary nightmare for many people, especially to women. Hair is the most important thing, it conveys about your personality, style and also discloses about your internal health. Loss of hair is not only restricted to your scalp but it can also affect your whole body.
Our scalp contains about 100,000 hair and each hair follows its own life cycle. It is normal to lose 50 – 100 hairs per day, but if you lose more in bunches, then it is treated as excess hair loss. It can happen gradually or suddenly depending on the causes and can also be temporary or may last longer. In the beginning stages of hair loss, women might experience gradual thinning on top of their scalp and in later stages may have hair thinning. Excess hair loss may lead to psychological distress and hence consulting professionals in early stages is crucial to control your hair loss and to ward off the reasons.
Causative factors of hair thinning in women?
Hair thinning cannot be caused due to a single cause, instead, it may be triggered due to a variety of factors. Few hair loss causes include
- Hereditary, both male pattern baldness, and female pattern baldness are mainly caused due to hereditary.
- Thyroid disorders
- Scalp infections like ringworm
- Scalp psoriasis and dandruff
- Lack of protein, anemia and nutritional deficiency
- Excess stress
- Usage chemical hair products and tight hair styling
- Giving birth to a child
- Hormonal imbalance
- Autoimmune disorders like alopecia areata
- Usage of certain medications like birth control pills and others
- Undergoing few treatments and radiation therapies like chemotherapy
How to stop hair thinning?
Women can control hair thinning problem to a certain extent by following few tips like
- Have balanced diet
- Control your stress levels
- Get enough sleep
- Avoid usage of chemical products and tight hairstyles
- Wash your hair 3 times a week
- Choose air drying method, not hair dry. Hair dryers can actually steal the moisture from your hair and hence use cotton towels and dry your hair naturally
- Drink plenty of water
- Trim your hair frequently
- Give your scalp a gentle massage with your fingers frequently
- Comb your hair with a clean and wide tooth comb
When you experience excess hair fall, consult your dermatologist to find the reasons for the problem and get it treated.