With arrival of summer also comes holidays for kids, planning vacations, tours, picnics and several others. With all these joy and planning also follows difficulties like high temperatures, humidity, sweating and several others. Dehydration, heat stroke, sun burn, high temperatures, headache and skin problems are few adverse effects of summer on our body. Dehydration is the main problem faced in summer due to raised temperatures and excess sweating. Dehydration can be dangerous and also can raise the risk of several health problems like sunstroke, kidney stones, constipation, hypertension, gastritis and so on.
All about health
Water plays very crucial role in our several body functions, in fact our body consists 60% of water. Each and every organ, cell and tissues in our body utilises water. Water helps in flushing out toxins from our body, regularises body temperature, creating saliva and so on. In summer we need more water than other seasons due to temperatures, sweating, vomiting and diarrhea. People with dehydration faces symptoms like dry mouth, thirsty feeling, headache, constipation, dark coloured urine and so on. Dehydration also leads to short term memory and concentration problems as our brain is made up of about 73% of water. To avoid all these health complications it is important to be hydrated by taking enough fluids. Many experts advise to drink atleast 6 to 8 glasses of water daily, but the recommended levels vary depending on their height, weight, age and the amount of physical activity they do. It is very important to take care of your kids in summers to eliminate summer illnesses like dehydration, sun stroke, prickly heat problems and so on. Take a look at our summer care tips for children article and let your children enjoy safe summer by following these tips.
List of fruits to fight with dehydration
Do you know, you can hydrate your body with not just water but also with what’s present on your plate? Yes, fresh fruits are the perfect example for that. By including fruits in your summer diet you can not only stay hydrated but also can get essential nutrients, vitamins and minerals. Here are few healthy fruits which assist you in warding off the risk of dehydration.
Follow the steps to avoid dehydration
You can avoid the risk of dehydration by following few tips, like
- Drink enough water whenever you feel thirsty
- Carry a refillable water bottle along with you
- Avoid caffeinated drinks instead opt for fresh juices
- Avoid spicy foods
- Have coconut water, it is filled with all essential nutrients and can successfully in avoiding the dehydration
- Avoid alcohol, as it increases the frequency of urinations and increases your risk of losing of water
- Quit smoking, it makes you dry and dehydrated
- Opt for indoor exercises and avoid intense workouts.
- Eat veggies which have high water content like tomato, cauliflower, green peppers, spinach and so on.
- Avoid going out in peak hours, instead plan your schedule in the early hours or in the evening