Tonsils are the two masses of tissues called lymph nodes located at the back of your throat. Tonsils are said to be the first line part of immune system, they protect your body by trapping germs and bacteria from entering your body. These also help in producing antibodies by activating immunity. But sometimes these tonsils get infected by bacteria and virus and leads to a condition called tonsillitis. People with tonsillitis experience signs and symptoms like sore throat, fever, difficulty swallowing, stiff neck and others. It is a contagious disease mostly seen in children and teenagers. It is mainly caused due to influenza virus, streptococcus pyogenes bacteria, measles virus and others. It is said that, in few cases both sinusitis and high fever can also lead to tonsillitis. Tonsils when caused due to streptococcal bacteria or strep throat, then it can lead to several complications and it needs to be treated immediately. Tonsillitis is easily treated within 10 days, but can be dangerous if left untreated. There are different types of tonsillitis, depending on the frequency and causes of episodes. They are acute tonsillitis, recurrent tonsillitis, chronic tonsillitis and others.
Signs of Tonsils
People experience different signs and symptoms based on the different types of tonsillitis. The most common seen in people with tonsillitis is red and swollen tonsils. Here are few common and mostly seen signs of tonsils or tonsillitis
- Sore throat– It is the common symptom seen in people with tonsillitis. In this condition people face pain, itchiness and irritation in throat. Though it is not serious, it can be disturbing and may also cause difficulty in breathing.
- Pain and difficulty in swallowing– Another major symptom seen in people with tonsillitis is painful swallowing. This difficulty in swallowing is called as dysphagia. People face difficulty in swallowing different foods and liquids due to tenderness and infection of throat.
- Fever with chills– People with tonsillitis have high temperature along with shivering and shaking due to severe cold. This can be due viral or bacterial infection.
- Snoring or breathing through mouth– Another symptom seen is snoring, this is caused due to swollen glands in the throat. Snoring and breathing through mouth can also affect your sleep and lead to problems with sleeping.
- Bad breath– Bad breath is a condition where people face bad odour from mouth and also have bad taste. This can be due to poor dental hygiene and also due to infections.
People with tonsillitis also face other symptoms like ear pain, headache, abdominal pain, coughing, stiffness and pain in neck, etc.
Food Causes Tonsils
Intake of chilled drinks and foods that you are allergic too can also lead to tonsillitis. People should avoid jellies, ice creams, chilled cold drinks and others as these can trigger tonsillitis. Avoid intake of sore, spicy and rough foods. As people with tonsillitis already face difficulties in swallowing foods and eating rough foods can worsen the pain. Eat smooth textured and easily swallowed foods as these controls stress and soothes pain. Drink plenty of water and be hydrated. You can enjoy honey, as it gives relief from pain and discomfort. Eat smooth and easily swallowed foods, as these helps to control pain in throat.