Vitiligo is a chronic condition where white patches are developed on the skin due to damaged melanocytes cells. It is a type of skin disorder that affects people of all age groups and genders. These white patches or vitiligo are mostly seen in people with dark skin complexion. It can affect different areas of the skin on your body and can also affect your eyes, mouth and nose. It is an auto immune disorder, it is not contagious and spread to other people. Though it is not dangerous, but due to these white patches, it increases stress, leads to depression and anxiety disorders. The white patches developed on skin may expand in size and also spread to other parts of the body. These white patches are mostly seen in areas like back of your hands, fingers, wrist, skin around eyes, around mouth, arm pits, genitals, scalp and also inside the mouth. The hair present on the affected scalp area generally turns into white or grey. The eyebrows, eyelashes and even beard also turn into white or grey. People between age groups 10 years to 30 years are more prone to this vertiligo and develop mostly before age 40.
What causes vitiligo?
The exact cause of pigment producing cells called melanocytes damage is not known. But, it is believed that hereditary plays a crucial role in vitiligo. It is also believed that vitiligo is an auto immune disorder. Few other factors which increase the risk of vitiligo problems include
- Exposure to industrial chemicals
- In some cases hyperthyroidism also increase
- Skin cancer or cancer of lymphatic system
- Vitamin B 12 deficiency
- Deficiency of foliate, copper and zinc
Steps to avoid vitiligo
One can avoid and control the risk of vitiligo by following few vitiligo health tips and safety measures like
- Protect your skin from sun and other UV light sources which damages your skin.
- Always apply sunscreen lotion and concealing affected skin helps to protect your skin
- Avoid contact with industrial and other chemicals. Also avoid frequent contact with chemical insecticides and pesticides.
- Improve your nutrition and other mineral intake. As these vitamins and minerals like
- Vitamin E, vitamin B12, zinc, copper and others helps in production of melanin in the skin.
- Getting a tattoo is also not recommended for people with vitiligo, as it triggers the condition and leads to development of new white patch.
The causes and risk factors of vitiligo are not scientifically proven.
- Vitiligo spread quickly in few people and in few people it will be limited to a particular place and will not spread.
- Vitiligo is not harmful nor it is contagious
- Vitiligo can be treated in long run and also the symptoms can be controlled
- All the white patches appearing on the skin may not be due to vitiligo
- Vitiligo is a gender neutral i.e. it affects both male and female equally.
- Vitiligo cannot cause other skin problems and is not dangerous.