One of the most crucial vitamins our body needs is vitamin C. It is very important for growth, development and also to repair almost every part of our body. It improves our immune system and wards of several allergies, infections and is also very beneficial for our heart, skin and avoids hair loss. It acts as an antioxidant and protects our body from free radicals. Vitamin C also helps our body to absorb iron from the food we eat and in storing it.
Fascinating facts about Vitamin C
Vitamin C is a water soluble vitamin, our body cannot store it for longer period unlike other vitamins. Our body gets clear of excess vitamin through urine within 24 hours span of consumption. It improves our immunity and helps to fight against all types of seasonal illnesses like cold, cough, infections, allergies and so on. Few people also believe that it also helps to fight against few chronic diseases like arthritis, coronary heart diseases, Alzheimer’s and also few cancers.
If you do not get enough vitamin C, you may face symptoms like bleeding gums, bone pain, joint pains, frequently falling sick, fatigue and so on.
Vitamin C is abundantly available and found in different fresh fruits and vegetables like papaya, carrot, bell peppers, kiwi, citrus fruits like oranges, limes, lemons, grapes and several others. Vitamin C deficiency is very rare as we get it liberally from various things. People who do not eat any fruits or veggies and depend only on processed foods may develop vitamin D deficiency and deficiency of this vitamin leads to a condition called scurvy.
How much vitamin c daily needed?
As discussed earlier this vitamin can’t be stored in the body, hence we need to take required vitamin through daily diet. On an average, recommended nutrient intake of vitamin C for adult is 75-90 milligrams per day. For children it can range from 15-45 mg. people who smoke need more vitamin C than others as smoking evacuates vitamin C present in different body tissues and body fluids quickly. People who smoke should add extra 35 mg to their diet daily.
Some proven health benefits of Vitamin C
As of now we have learned about vitamin C, its facts and how much amount we need. Now, let us see some proven health benefits of vitamin C
- Boosts immunity– Vitamin C improves our body’s strength and protects from different organisms by stimulating immunity. It control the risk of allergies, infections, common cold, flu and so on.
- Enhances heart health– According to some studies, vitamin C helps to avoid the risk of several heart diseases like stroke, heart attack and so on. It also control the level of cholesterol.
- Improves your eye health– Vitamin C helps to improve your eye health by avoiding the risk of cataracts, uveitis and several other muscular degenerations of eyes.
- Gives you healthy teeth and gums– Vitamin C by producing collagen helps to maintain and improve your teeth and gum health. It also stops the risk of dry mouth and helps to give you clear smile.
- Beneficial for your skin– Benefits of vitamin C for skin include production of collagen, avoid the risk and protecting your skin from age related problems like wrinkles, dryness and others. It protects your skin from pollution, improves your skin texture and avoid the risk of eczema.
- Treats sunburn problems– Most of the people in summer faces sunburn problem. The antioxidant properties present in vitamin C helps in synthesis of collagen and treats sunburn problems. Vitamin C whether taken orally or applied as oil to the skin improves your skin condition.
- Beneficial for hair– Vitamin C provides enough benefits for your hair like encouraging hair growth, fighting dandruff, gives you long and strong hair and avoid premature graying of hair. Vitamin C is full of anti-viral properties and hence protects your hair and scalp from several infections and wards of the risk of dry and itchy scalp.
Along with the above, vitamin C also provides several other benefits like regulates BP, regulates sugar levels, avoid cancer risk, treats preeclampsia, alleviates your mood and also avoid the risk of gout and urinary tract infections. It is beneficial for all age groups irrespective of genders, vitamin C benefits for men include elevated CRP levels and treats infertility problems by improving sperm count and motility.