Cinnamon also called as Dalchini is a spice known for its taste and medicinal properties since ancient times. Cinnamon is actually the inner bark obtained from tree species Cinnamomum. Cinnamon is native to Sri Lanka and back in ancient times, it was as valuable as gold. This brown colored fragrant stick has pleasantly sweet flavor and warming smell and is abundantly used in cooking several sweet, savory dishes and curries. Apart from its delicious taste and smell, it is also popular for its widespread health benefits. Cinnamon is known to reduce bad cholesterol, cut the risk of cardiovascular diseases, control sugar levels (especially type 2 diabetes), fights diabetes, prevents cancer, fights PCOS, prevents Alzheimer’s disease, treats arthritis and is also beneficial for skin and hair.
Cinnamon is loaded with fiber, calcium, manganese, iron and vitamin K. The antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties present in it makes this spice more precious for our health. One can consume this humble spice in different forms like cinnamon sticks, cinnamon powder, cinnamon oil and others. Cinnamon tea is also considered to be a healthy beverage and it also aids in improving digestion, weight loss, improving immunity and so on.
Hidden health benefits of Cinnamon
Here I have listed out few health benefits of this favorite household spice
- Fights Diabetes- Antidiabetic properties present in cinnamon helps to lower sugar levels. It improves glycaemic levels and controls type 2 diabetes. People suffering from diabetes are suggested to take 1/4th teaspoon of cinnamon powder regularly and this home remedy works efficiently in controlling sugar levels.
- Cut the risk of Cardiovascular diseases- Cinnamon reduce the risk of cardiovascular diseases by reducing bad cholesterol (LDL), controlling high BP and control triglyceride levels which are said to be the most common triggering factors of heart problems. One can reduce the risk of heart attack by using cinnamon and honey spread regularly in place of jams.
- Control Arthritis pain- Cinnamon is rich in anti-inflammatory properties which play the crucial role in controlling the swelling and pain. Regular intake of cinnamon helps to prevent tissue damage in joints and also protects them from infections. Mix a quarter teaspoon of cinnamon powder and one teaspoon of honey to a glass of hot water and drink it regularly to control arthritis pain.
- Controls PCOS- Cinnamon controls PCOS by controlling the major risk factor of it i.e. insulin resistance. It also improves metabolic hormone profiles, regularities ovulation and improves the chance of fertility among women suffering from PCOS.
- Improves skin health- Anti-fungal, antibacterial and antimicrobial properties present in Cinnamon improves skin health, provides clear skin and also prevents skin infections. To enhance your complexion, add half smashed banana, yogurt and lemon juice to cinnamon powder and apply this paste to clean face. Leave this for about 15 minutes and then rinse it off with lukewarm water. Cinnamon also helps to cure acne and pimples.
- Prevents Cancer- Anti cancer properties present in cinnamon helps to prevent cancer.
Cinnamon also cures cold, cough and flu by boosting immunity. Though Cinnamon is known for its health benefits, people suffering from liver diseases, allergies and also conceived women are suggested to consult their doctors about the percentage of cinnamon to consume to avoid further complications.