Black Plum health benefits and its nutritional level
Jamun, the summer special plum fruit is not only delicious but also offers several health benefits. Jamun also called Black plum or Alla Neredu is loaded with abundant amounts of nutrients, minerals, antioxidants, and flavonoids. It improves our immune system and is also beneficial for people suffering from diabetes, digestive disorders, asthma, piles, and several others. Not just the fruit but its seeds and bark also have several medicinal properties.
What is Black Plum?
Jamun is native to India and is available during the summer and early monsoon season. Jamun with its oval shape, dark purple, and almost black color attracts everyone and it is sweet and tangy in flavor and is also extremely juicy. Not just the fruit, its juice, leaves, Jamun seed powder, and bark are also used in several traditional treatments. It is a great source of iron, folic acid, vitamin C, calcium, magnesium, potassium, sodium, phosphorus, and vitamin B6.
Health Benefits of Jamun
Here are few proven health benefits:
- Controls Diabetes- Jamun is actually a wonder fruit for diabetics. It has anti-diabetic properties which help in controlling glucose levels in body fluids. Not only the fruit, Jamun seeds, bark, and leaves are also very beneficial in treating diabetes. Jamun seed powder and Jamun juice if taken regularly can reduce the symptoms of diabetes like frequent urination, thirsty feeling, and others.
- Controls Digestive disorders- Jamun is highly suggested for people suffering from digestive disorders due to its cooling properties. Its seed powder works effectively for digestive disorders like indigestion, acidity, diarrhea and also regulates healthy bowel movements. Jamun also has an abundant amount of fiber and it also helps in controlling weight.
- Improves Hemoglobin- Jamun is rich in iron and helps in the production of hemoglobin. Regular consumption of Jamun improves circulation and also helps in oxygenated hemoglobin throughout the body.
- Boosts immune system- Jamun is rich in antioxidants and vitamin C which helps in improving the immune system, stamina and prevents seasonal health problems and infections.
- Beneficial for skin- It has high amounts of vitamin C which help to improve skin health. It controls oil and keeps your skin fresh and smooth. Jamun also acts as an anti-aging agent and improves skin health.
- Useful for teeth and gums- The vitamin C and antibacterial properties present in Jamun works very well in controlling bad breath and infections of teeth and gums.
- Controls heart diseases- Jamun contains potassium which plays a crucial role in keeping our heart healthy and fit. It also helps to control other health disorders like hypertension, cardiovascular diseases, and stroke. The triterpenoid present in Jamun helps in controlling cholesterol levels and reduces the risk of heart diseases.
- Controls Asthma- Jamun fruit and its bark work wonderfully in controlling several respiratory disorders like asthma. Regular consumption of Jamun juice also helps in controlling chronic cough.
- Treats Piles- Jamun juice works effectively in controlling piles by treating hardened veins.