Amazing health benefits of having dragon fruit
Dragon fruit also called Pitaya, is an exotic tropical fruit gaining enormous popularity in the Indian market these days. Its vibrant red skin, sweet taste, seed-speckled pulp, its scaly and explosion of flames look, and of course not to forget its health benefits made it interesting and popular. Including this mildly sweet and crunchy textured fruit in our menu helps to improve the immune system, prevents anemia, helps in digestion, controls diabetes, improves heart health, controls arthritis pain, prevents cancer, healthy for kids, and most importantly is very beneficial for our skin and hair.
Overture of Dragon Fruit
Dragon fruit with the scientific name Hylocereus undatus and belonging to the Cactaceae family is native to South America and Central America. But now is profusely in several tropical and subtropical regions throughout the world. This dragon fruit cactus has a huge demand throughout the world and is now also cultivated in India, China, Thailand, and Vietnam.
This fruit is basically available in three varieties, one with red skin and red flesh, the second is with red skin and white flesh and the third is a yellow dragon fruit with yellow skin and white flesh. When you cut open the fruit, you will see a cluster of small edible black seeds inside flesh. To enjoy its delicacy you just need to peel the outer part of this fruit and eat the inner crunchy and little sweet flesh.
Nutritional level in Pitaya
Coming to the nutritional part of this fruit, it is loaded with an astonishing number of vitamins, minerals, and nutrients. It is high in fiber, protein, antioxidants, lycopene, and carbs. Vitamins like B1, B2, B3, vitamin C, and vitamin E are present in this pitaya dragon fruit along with minerals like iron, calcium, phosphorus, sodium, and magnesium and also have few useful plant compounds like polyphenols, carotenoids, and betacyanins.
Health benefits of Pitaya
The antibacterial, antioxidant, and anti-inflammatory properties present in this fruit offer us several skins, hair, and health benefits. Here is the list of benefits of Dragonfruit
- Boosts immunity- Dragon fruit is loaded with huge amounts of carotenoids, flavonoids and vitamin C. These all play an important role in boosting immunity and eliminating the risk of several infections, allergies, and others.
- Helps in improving digestive health- The high fiber content present in it helps in improving digestive health by treating several stomach problems like indigestion, constipation, and irritable bowel syndrome. The high water content present and fiber of this dragon fruit make it more suitable for people suffering from constipation.
- Beneficial for Diabetics- This is one among the few fruits that are beneficial for diabetics (especially for type 2 diabetes). Regular consumption of this fruit helps in lowering sugar levels. Consuming dragon fruit after consuming high glycemic index foods actually helps in controlling sugar spikes.
- Improves heart health- There is no such thing called saturated fats in this fruit, it helps to reduce cholesterol and also eliminates the risk of plaque development in arteries and veins. This fruit keeps your heart healthy by lowering the risk of stroke, heart attack, and others.
- Controls Arthritis pain- The anti-inflammatory properties present in this fruit helps to control arthritis pain and improves mobility.
- Prevents Cancer- It is proven that dragon fruit can prevent the growth of dangerous cancer cells. The antioxidants, vitamin C, lycopene, and carotene present in this fruit improve immunity and reduces the risk of several cancers like prostate cancer.
- Improves skin health- Including this fruit in your diet helps to keep your skin young. It eliminates the risk of skin aging, cures acne, soothes sunburn, moisturizes your skin, and provides radiant skin.
- Beneficial for healthy hair- For all those worrying about their hair Dragon fruit is very helpful. It keeps our hair healthy, nourished, and shiny.
- Healthy for kids- This fruit is a great choice for kids as a healthy snack. It helps in the overall health and development of kids.
- Treats respiratory disorders- Here is a piece of great news for all those suffering from respiratory problems like Asthma and others.