Signs & Symptoms of Anemia
Causes of Anemia
If you do not have enough hemoglobin or RBCs in your body, then it leads to a condition called anemia. This condition can range from mild to severe and may affect individuals minor or can be major. People with anemia face symptoms like weakness, hair loss, fainting, headache, and so on. Men are said to be with anemia if their hemoglobin level is less than 13.5 grams/100 ml, whereas women are said to be anemic if their hemoglobin levels are less than 12.0 grams/100ml. This range of hemoglobin differs in children. There are different types of anemia like iron deficiency anemia, vitamin deficiency anemia, aplastic anemia, anemia of chronic disease, sickle cell anemia, anemia associated with bone marrow disease, and others.
Anemia is mainly caused due to conditions like
- Anemia caused due to low production of RBCs– This condition is again caused due to iron deficiency, vitamin deficiency, sickle cell anemia, and bone marrow and stem cell problems. Iron deficiency anemia symptoms include headache, weakness, skin paleness, and so on.
- Anemia caused due to loss of RBCs– This condition is raised because of hemorrhage caused due to childbirth, gastritis, ulcers, hemorrhoids, heavy menstruations, cancers, and so on.
- Anemia caused due to destruction of RBCs – This destruction of RBCs is caused by few conditions due to genetic issues like thalassemia, infections, toxins released due to kidney or liver diseases, tumors, clotting problems, severe high BP, and so on.
Signs to identify
Weakness or tiredness is the most common symptom seen in people with anemia and other symptoms of anemia include breathlessness, pale skin, low BP, headache, fainting, lack of concentration, insomnia, hair loss, abnormal heartbeat, and so on. The signs and symptoms of anemia differ with the types and severity of anemia. In few types of anemia people also face problems like jaundice, fever, skin rashes, swelling, and coldness in the hands and feet. These symptoms range from mild to severe depending on the condition and if anemia worsens, the symptoms people face also worsen. Slow growth and development is the main symptom seen in children with anemia. People with anemia are also at an increased risk of developing several infections and also experience joint, abdomen, and limb cramps. Many people get confused with the symptoms of anemia to other iron deficiency symptoms like weakness, hair loss, pale skin, dizziness, and others also resemble low iron symptoms in females and iron deficiency symptoms in men. To avoid this get diagnosed and get accurate and timely anemia treatment.
How to control anemia?
People can treat anemia problems by following few tips like
- As we know iron deficiency causes anemia and to treat this and also increase your intake of iron-rich foods like spinach, chicken liver, pork, poultry, seafood, peas, black sesame seeds, raisins, dates, and others.
- Control stress, as stress increases pressure on your spleen anemia liver and increases your risk of anemia. By controlling stress and getting enough sleep one can easily get along with anemia.
- Avoid excess intake of caffeinated drinks, as it worsens anemia in anemic.
- Take vitamin supplements like vitamin B 12 and folate supplements and others.
- Treat your leaky gut problems and also nourish your spleen health.