Guava is a round or oval shaped amazing tropical fruit loaded with variety of health benefits. Though this fruit is abundantly available in summer, most of the people do not relish it that much unlike other fruits such as apples, bananas, mangoes etc. This may be due to its hard edible seeds or may be due to lack of knowledge about its health benefits. Not just the fruit but guava tree leaves are also proven to be beneficial for health. Including guava in diet helps to treat constipation, regulates thyroid metabolism, prevents teeth and oral problems, control diabetes, prevent cancers, support digestion, regularize BP, boosts immunity, supports weight loss, improves heart health, improves hair growth and controls stress.
Here, today let us discuss about this tropical fruit, its nutritional values and its health benefits. After reading this I’m sure you will not miss or neglect the fruit in this season.
What is Guava?
Guava also called as Amrood is a green or yellow colored tropical fruit originated in Central America. But now it is vastly cultivated in many tropical and subtropical countries due to its tremendous health benefits. Guavas are usually sweet or tangy in flavour with little edible seeds inside. Though they look green or yellow outside, the inside pulp may be pink or white in colour. This whole fruit, along with skin can be taken as a snack or can also be added to smoothies and salads. This fruit is rich in nutrients like vitamin A, vitamin C, folic acid, copper, fiber, potassium, flavonoids, manganese, folic acid and phytochemicals. Guava is one among those healthy fruits that are filled with massive amounts of cancer-fighting antioxidants.
Tremendous health benefits of Guava
Here are few health benefits of Guava leaves and fruit
- Controls Sugar levels- Huge amounts of dietary fiber present in guavas helps to regulate sugar levels in diabetic people. Guava leaf tea for diabetes is highly recommended. It is actually proven that guava leaf tea has the power to control lower sugar levels.
- Maintains thyroid health- Guavas contain copper which helps to control hormone production in body and thus regulates thyroid metabolism.
- Benefits digestive system and treats constipation- Guavas are rich source of dietary fiber which boosts digestion, enhance nutrients absorption from food and also improves healthy bowel movements. The high amount of dietary fiber and roughage present in guavas helps to prevent constipation and piles.
- Prevents Cancer- Guavas are filled with rich amounts of cancer-fighting antioxidants which helps in preventing free radicals from damaging the cells. The cancer prevention abilities present in Guavas helps to prevent different cancers like prostate cancer, oral cancer and breast cancer.
- Aids in weight loss- Guavas are low in calories and high in fiber. This makes this fruit most suitable for people who wish lose weight. Taking guavas keeps you full and lowers food craving.
- Benefits of Guava leaves for Hair- Guava leaves for hair are extremely beneficial. Vitamin C and vitamin B present in Guavas helps to improve hair growth and prevents hair fall by boosting collagen. Guava leaf extracts by strengthening hair follicles promotes thicker, longer and shinier hair growth. Guava leaves also improves circulation and treats dandruff problems.
- Guava leaves for teeth- Guava leaves contain antibacterial properties which plays crucial role in treating teeth and gum problems. Chewing guava leaves cures toothache, bad breath and also beneficial for bleeding gums.