Any irritation or inflammation in the nasal tissues leads to running nose. This irritation in the nasal tissues is caused due to cold, allergies, viral infections, sinusitis, hay and viral fever, influenza, change in weather and so on. Running nose is also called as rhinorrhea. Rhinorrhea or runny nose is caused due to excess mucus production in the nasal cavity and nasal passage. People face discomfort due to runny nose and it can also be irritating. People with runny nose may experience yellow and thick discharge. In most of the cases people with runny nose also have facial pressure, pain back of your eyes and so on. Runny nose can be due to several other reasons like nasal polyps, deviated septum, non allergic rhinitis and RSV (respiratory syncytial virus). Runny nose is our body’s natural way of flushing cold and flu viruses, allergens and several other irritants from our body. Severe runny nose may lead to headache, ear pain and also coughing and others. When exposed to allergens and due to allergies chemical called histamine is released which increases the risk of frequent sneezing and runny nose.
Causes of Runny Nose
Runny nose is caused due to several reasons like
- Cold weather in winter
- Sinus infection
- Deviated septum
- Viral infection
- Hormonal changes
- Exposure to tobacco smoke
- Exposure to smoke and other environmental factors
- Eye irritation
- Crying and shedding tears
If you experience running nose along with other symptoms like headache, facial pain and pain around nose, eyebrows, cheeks and forehead it can be due to a condition called sinusitis. Sinusitis or sinus is the swelling of nasal tissue due to viral or bacterial infection. Usually these sinuses are filled with air whereas in sinusitis the sinuses get inflamed and blocked and are filled with thick nasal mucus and pus. Running and stuffy nose are the basic symptoms seen in people with sinusitis along with other symptoms like fatigue, sore or strep throat, bad breath and congestion.
Allergies can also lead to running nose. When individuals come in contact with allergens like dust, pollen, pet dander and other substances their immune system mistakenly attacks them by producing antibodies even when they are not dangerous or harmful. People can also be allergic to few food items. People when come in contact with allergens develop few symptoms like sneezing, runny nose, watery and red eyes.
People also experience runny nose due to sudden weather changes. Weather changes affects individuals immunity and causes illnesses like cold and cough which further leads to runny nose in many people. Sudden change in weather also triggers several other illnesses like sinusitis, asthma and other respiratory problems which further trigger the problem of running nose.
Running nose once in a while may not be serious but frequent running nose can be due to underlying serious health issues and it is important to consult your doctor and get tested.
Homeopathy for Runny Nose
Homeopathy works very effectively in treating running nose problems by focusing on treating the root cause of the problem. Homeopathy for runny nose uses natural remedies which are safe, side effects free, non toxic and are suitable for all age groups. Homeopathy successfully treats several problems like sinusitis, cold, flu and other problems which can cause runny nose. Homeopathy aims to improve overall well being by improving immunity and self healing system of the body. Homeopathy along with treatment also provides several tips to treat runny nose problems. These homeopathy tips for runny nose help in providing quick relief from runny nose.
Tips to Control Runny Nose
Runny nose problems can be managed and controlled by following few health tips. Here are few runny nose control tips which are very useful in providing relief from running nose.
- Be hydrated– Drink plenty of water and fluids and stay hydrated to get relief from runny nose. Being hydrated helps in thinning the mucus which helps in expelling the virus and other bacteria quickly and to get relief.
- Blow it and clean your nose– Blowing frequently helps to remove fluids and mucus from your nose and to stop running nose. It helps to remove irritants from your nose.
- Use steam– Steam works very well in controlling runny nose problem. Take hot water steam and blow your nose, it helps to treat running nose and provides relief.
- Use garlic– Garlic is full of antibacterial and antiseptic properties, it helps in providing quick relief from running nose problems. You can chew garlic pod or you can also have garlic soup to get relief.
- Nasal flushing– One can get relief from runny nose by using salted water drops as sprays. This salt water drops helps to eliminate irritants from nose and provides relief.
- Drink hot liquids– Drink hot liquids like tea and soups to get relief from runny nose. Drinking hot liquids also help to provide relief from other problems like headache, stuffy nose and other cold and cough problems.
- Hot water shower– Taking hot water shower also helps to get relief from runny nose just as hot drinks and steam.
- Eliminate triggers– One can avoid runny nose problems by eliminating contact with nasal irritants and several allergens like dust, smoke, pollen, pollution, dander and also foods that they are allergic to
- Have honey– Honey is loaded with anti viral and anti bacterial properties and taking honey helps to provide relief from runny nose. Mix honey in warm water and drink it to get relief from running nose. You can also add few drops of fresh lemon to it and drink.
- Use basil leaves– As we all know holy basil leaves have strong healing properties along with anti viral and anti fungal properties. One can chew few basil leaves or can also add few basil leaves in boiling water and drink it. It provides quick relief from running nose.