Eyes are one among the most important organs in our body and assist us in each and every activity. Any damage or slight abnormalities with them can lead to discomfort. Eye problems are becoming common now a days due to several factors like pollution, allergies, infections, stress, sleeping problems and several others.
Common effects of eye itching
Eye itching can be bothersome and the severity of itching can range based on the severity of the cause and problem. Itching eyes can be caused due to several factors like
- Allergies– Allergies are the most common cause of itching in eyes. Allergic conjunctivitis is the most commonly seen problem during winters
- Dry eye– Dry eye syndrome is another common cause of eye irritation. It is a condition where people do not have enough quality tears or lubrication on surface of the eyes.
- Usage chemical products– The chemical products which you use for personal usage can have adverse affects on your eyes and lead to itching sensation in your eyes.
- Inflammation of eyelid– This is also called as blepharitis, it is a condition where oil glands present on your hair follicles of your eyelids gets clogged and leads to itching.
- Usage of electronic gadgets– Excess usage of electronic gadgets especially cell phones at late nights can lead to itching in eyes. This type of strain in your eyes is called as digital eye strain and this is caused due to over usage of gadgets for longer periods.
- Dust and pollen– If any piece of dust or small sand particles enters your eyes, it leads to severe itching in your eyes and causes pain and discomfort.
- Wearing contact lens– You may experience some sort of itchiness in your eyes if you are wearing your contact lenses regularly.
Does it harm eye health?
Eye problems and severe itching should not be neglected, as it may lead to several other problems. Rubbing your itchy eyes can actually worsen the condition and lead to redness and more itching. Rubbing also leads to a condition called corneal abrasion, which can worsen the infection and also lead to corneal scarring. By rubbing your eye continuously you can transmit the allergies or infection to the other eye also. In severe cases, it can also damage your eyes.
Steps to follow
By following few tips you can actually control eye itching problems, like
- Clean your eyes with clean water, if you feel that any dust particles entered into your eyes.
- Do not rub your eyes, use suggested eye drops to control infections.
- Wear cooling or sunglasses, if you are going out on a bike or when you are working near dusty or sandy conditions.
- Avoid contact with scented candles or any other allergic factors.
- Avoid working with strong cleaning chemicals.
- Consult eye specialist if you experience any discomfort in your eyes without neglecting.