Based on duration insomnia is characterised as
Transient insomnia– symptoms last from for few days to a week, situations leading to transient insomnia may be work related stress.
Acute insomnia– symptoms persist for few weeks, it is also called short term insomnia. Acute insomnia can be caused due to family pressure or due to traumatic event.
Chronic insomnia– in this type symptoms persist for months and sometimes years depending on the severity. Causes can be like health problems, medication and sleep disorders.
There are two types of insomnia, they are
Primary insomnia– in this type people has sleeping disorders because of stress.
Secondary insomnia– in this type people face sleeping disorders because of some reason like health problems.
Causes of Insomnia :
Some causes of insomnia are listed below, they are
- Irregular sleeping timings
- Health problems (allergies, arthritis, asthma, thyroids, stroke, tumors and Alzheimer’s )
- Hormone imbalance
- Psychological issues (anxiety, depression or psychotic disorders)
- Environmental factors
- Unhealthy food (caffeine, alcohol and nicotine)
- Gastrointestinal issues (heart burn and constipation)
- Menopause and hot flashes.
People who are more likely to suffer insomnia are travellers, pregnant women, elder people, young adult students, drug users, menopausal women and people with irregular work timings.
Regular lack of sleep is a symptom of insomnia and causes insomnia in long run. By following some natural sleep remedies on can treat insomnia. Here are some natural sleep remedies
- Drink tart cherry juice
- Try some gentle yoga and meditation
- Listen to calm and soothing music
- Try glass of warm milk
- Keep the temperature in the room cool
- Eat a Banana
- Aroma of lavender sheets.
Tips to get natural Sleep :
With slight changes in the lifestyle and by following some natural remedies one can treat insomnia and get natural sleep
- Stick to a systematic sleep schedule
- Avoid heavy meals and beverages before going to bed
- Do breathing and relaxation exercises to calm your mind
- Make a habit of reading a book before going to bed
- Wake up at same time every day
- Keep your bedroom or sleep area clean and comfortable
- Avoid caffeine, nicotine, smoking and alcohol before going to bed
- Avoid using phones and laptops late at night
- Avoid taking naps in the daytime
- Listen to soft and soothing music
- A warm bath and massage before going to bed releases stress and helps to get good sleep.