When people experience depression with change in season, it is known to be seasonal affective disorder (SAD). Few people experience seasonal affective disorders in the winters where as few experience them in summer. The symptoms of seasonal affective disorders go away with change in season. People with seasonal affective disorder face symptoms like insomnia, eating disorders, anxiety, headache and so on. These symptoms of seasonal affective disorders interferes with individuals daily activities. Most of the people experience these seasonal affective disorders with the arrival of winter season. These seasonal affective disorders are more common among women and people of age between 15 to 55 years of age. SAD among family members also increases the risk for other family members. This condition is believed to be caused due to a chemical called serotonin, this chemical is released in brain and it also affects individual’s mood. Melatonin also place vital role in seasonal affective disorders, as imbalance in this melatonin levels affect individuals sleeping habits and also mood. Due to weather changes this melatonin levels in body gets disturbed. Due to SAD individuals feel low and depressed. The symptoms may be low in the starting and may get worst with time progress. People feel weak and tired, even after enough food and also having enough sleep. People with seasonal affective disorders also experience suicidal thoughts frequently and feel very low.
Symptoms of Seasonal Affective Disorders
The symptoms of seasonal affective disorders are different for winter and summer i.e. people with winter SAD have different symptoms from people with summer SAD.
People with winter seasonal affective disorder have symptoms like
- Excess sleeping or hypersomnia
- Gaining weight
- Increased appetite along with cravings for crab rich foods
- Feeling tired and weakness
- Feeling low and depressed
- Stay alone and isolate themselves
People get relieved from these symptoms when they are exposed to sun and get enough sunlight and also with warm temperatures.
- People with summer seasonal affective disorder have symptoms like
- Low or lack of appetite
- Weight loss
- Anxiety and irritation
People experience these symptoms due to hot and scorching sun, when the weather turns cool and when temperatures fall.
People with bipolar disorders also have depressed symptoms in winter and summer. People who live far away from equator commonly experience these seasonal affective disorders. This condition arises mainly due to reduced sunlight in winter season and hot and long days in summer season.
This seasonal affective disorder is not dangerous and life threatening and condition of the people also improves as weather and season changes. But if symptoms of seasonal affective disorder get worst, it may lead to few complications like
- People tend to isolate themselves and withdraw themselves from social gatherings
- Work related and school performance problems
- Get irritated and also have suicidal thoughts
- Face abnormal appetite and sleep
If people face rise in symptoms, it is important to visit doctors to avoid worsening of symptoms.
People often get confused between seasonal affective disorder and depression, as they both have similar symptoms. It is very important to know difference between these two disorders to get treated. People are said to have seasonal affective disorder if they have symptoms like
- If you have experienced the symptoms like depression, feeling low, sleeping abnormalities and others in the same season for the last 2 years.
- If you are gaining weight and have unusual appetite than in usual.
- If you are thinking and behaving differently in a particular season and also feel low and depressed without any particular reason.
All the above factors represent seasonal affective disorder and you may need to consult your doctor and get treated to avoid complications. Treatment for seasonal affective disorders includes light therapy, antidepressant treatment and psychotherapy. Light therapy is also referred as phototherapy where in people with seasonal affective disorders are asked to sit few feet away from specially designed light box which gives you a feeling of sunlight. This feel improves levels of brain chemicals called serotonin and melatonin which helps to improve your behaviour and lifts your mood. Psychotherapy is another technique used to treat seasonal affective disorders and it is also referred as talk therapy.
Tips to Control Seasonal Affective Disorders
Along with treatment seasonal affective disorders can be controlled by following few health tips and making few lifestyle changes like
- Make your home brighter by opening windows and letting sunlight enter your room. Trim tree branches and remove curtains to allow sunlight and expose yourself to light regularly.
- Stay active, do your exercises and do some stress relieving activities in day light like swimming, meditation and others.
- Spend time with family and friends and also share your thoughts with them get out of your house and roam around.
- Don’t get used to alcohol and other drugs as they may give relief from symptoms but in longer run they make it worst.
- Plan your schedule with dear and near and do not isolate yourself.
- Go for counselling’s if you’re feeling low and control your stress by indulging yourself in your favourite activities and remembering good memories.
- Eat healthy and stay fit and get enough sleep.
- Get early treatment and stick to your treatment plan and prescriptions.
Homeopathy Treatment for Seasonal Affective Disorders
Homeopathy is the right choice and natural way to treat seasonal affective disorders. Homeopathy for seasonal affective problems uses natural and non toxic remedies which help in lifting the mood and eliminating stress and anxiety. Homeopathy also corrects symptoms of seasonal affective disorders like sleeping disorders, abnormal appetite and others. Homeopathy treatment improves immunity and also aims at overall wellbeing along with treating SAD. Homeopathy along with treatment also provides seasonal affective disorder tips. These seasonal affective disorders homeopathy tips helps in controlling the symptoms by lifting mood and gives you quick relief. Homeopathy treatment for SAD is prescribed based on symptoms and theory of individualization and the remedies differ for each person.