Papaya, a pear-shaped fruit very popular for its medicinal properties and health benefits more than its taste and color. Most of the people especially kids do neglect this miracle fruit, but after reading this article and learning about its surprising health benefits, we guess you will change your mind and add this to your list of favorite fruits. This fruit is available all year round and including it in the diet helps to control weight, beneficial for eyes, eases digestion problems, suggestible for diabetics, prevents arthritis, treats constipation, prevents irritable bowel syndrome and most importantly gives you flawless healthy skin.
Let us in detail learn about papaya, its nutritional values, and amazing benefits.
Papaya, an amazing tropical fruit
Papaya also called as Pawpaw is native to the tropical region of America. It is now easily available throughout the world and that too all year along. These fruits look green in color in the beginning and turn yellow as they ripen. This fruit is abundantly used for quite a long time in various cultures due to its medicinal properties. Not just the flush and juice of Papaya fruit are useful but papaya seeds and papaya tree leaves also offers us a lot of benefits.
Nutritional benefits of Papaya
Papaya is loaded with all essential nutrients like fiber, carbohydrates, vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E, potassium, sodium, magnesium, iron, calcium, zinc, digestive enzymes, carotenoids, folate, and proteins.
Surprising health benefits of Papaya
Here are few health benefits of papaya
- Beneficial for skin- Papaya for skin acts as a superfood and papaya extracts are widely used in producing several beauty products like papaya face wash, papaya face scrub, papaya soap, papaya whitening face cream, papaya gel and papaya facial cleanser. Not just consuming internally but applying its extracts as face pack also provides several benefits for our skin. It moisturizes our skin, clears pigmentation, reduces wrinkles, dark circles, lightens our skin by removing tan and also prevents signs of aging. It has all the nutrients like vitamin C, vitamin A and others which are very beneficial for skin health. It also works great in controlling skin disorders like psoriasis, eczema, acne, and melasma. Include papaya in your diet for healthy and glowing skin.
- Improves Digestion- The papain present in papaya helps to treat several digestive problems like indigestion, heartburn, stomach ulcers and so on. Papain and fiber present in Papaya help to improve digestion by breaking down the proteins.
- Promotes weight loss- Papaya is rich in fiber and low in calories and this makes it most suitable for people who want to lose some extra pounds. Regular intake of papaya not just helps in burning fat but also detoxifies the body. Vitamin C, fiber, and antioxidants present in papaya helps to reduce the risk of heart diseases by controlling heart diseases.
- Beneficial for eyes- this tropical fruit is a rich source of beta-carotene and antioxidants especially zeaxanthin which is very helpful for eyes and reduces the risk of macular degeneration i.e. loss of eyesight. These prevent eyesight problems by filtering harmful blue light.
- Control Diabetes- Papaya contains anti-diabetic properties which help in controlling high sugar levels. regular intake of papaya also helps to prevent the risk of diabetes.
- Prevents Arthritis- Including Papaya in the diet helps to keep arthritis especially Rheumatoid arthritis at bay. The anti-inflammatory properties and vitamin C present in papaya are mainly responsible for this.
- Prevents Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) – Papaya is rich in fiber and protein-digesting enzymes which help to treat constipation and prevent the risk of IBS by regulating bowel movement.