Remedies to Prevent Motion Sickness
Is your travel sickness ruining your holiday trip? Eager to learn about it and ways to control it? You are in a right place. In this article let us discuss travel sickness or vomiting while traveling, its causes, symptoms, and a few tips to control it.
What is a Travel Sickness?
Travel sickness also called motion sickness is a condition wherein individuals feel sick, have symptoms like vomiting, headache, drowsiness, and others while traveling in a bus, car, boat, or airplane. These symptoms stop and you start feeling better as soon as you reach your destination or when you stop traveling. Many people suffer from this condition and are mostly seen among children and conceived women. People suffering from a migraine are at an increased risk of travel sickness.
What are the causative factors of Vomiting While Traveling?
This condition is raised when your eyes, ears, and other parts of the body send motion signals to the brain through the nervous system. When your senses like eyes, ears, and others feel differently, they send mixed signals to the brain and this conflict makes you feel sick. For example, when you travel in a boat, your inner ears can sense the motion of big waves, shaking and ups and downs, whereas your eyes can see them and this sends different signals to your brain and due to these clash of signals you feel dizzy and nauseous.
Symptoms of Vomiting While Traveling?
Common symptoms of travel sickness include
- Nausea and vomiting
- Heavy sweating
- Increased production of saliva
- Pale skin
These symptoms strike up when you start your journey and stops as soon as you reach your destination. Few people due to severe vomiting may also feel weak and tired for some time. The symptoms and their severity vary from each individual.
Tips to control Travel Sickness
How to avoid vomiting during journeys is the basic question seen among people with Travel sickness. For all those here are few tips and preventive measures which help in controlling Travel sickness.
- Never sit facing backward from your direction of travel, always prefer to sit in the front seats. Sitting in front seats can actually reduce the risk of symptoms.
- Listen to your favorite music and keep yourself busy this can reduce your sensitivity
- Do not read any books while traveling
- Sit near the window so that you can get some fresh air
- Avoid strong odors while traveling
- Do not sit near people who are also suffering from travel sickness as this can make you sick and trigger your symptoms.
- Avoid heavy meals before traveling instead prefer light meals and also avoid drinking before you travel.
Few people say that consumption of fresh ginger or mint or cloves and their aroma works greatly in controlling the symptoms of Travel sickness. Few people prefer fresh lemon and its juice to control the signs like vomiting and headache while traveling.