In this busy and corporate world, people are spending one-third of their lives at a workplace and these jobs are sucking the life out of them and increasing their risk of several health problems like back pain, depression, heart problems, hypertension and so on. Unusual working hours, sitting for a long time, sedentary lifestyles, unhealthy eating patterns, work-related stress, job uncertainty and others play a crucial role and affects individuals physically and mentally.
We all are very well aware of the importance of work, but reaching our goals at the cost of our lives is not something we all want at the end. Hence to avoid these health complications focusing and managing both work and personal life is very crucial.
List of common health problems
Here are few common health problems of IT workers
- Back pain- The most common health complain about working people is a backache. This can be mainly due to sitting for long hours in a slouched posture. This poor sitting position increases pressure on your neck, back and most importantly on your lower spine and leads to pain and discomfort.
- Vision problems- Staring at computer screens for long hours leads to eye strain and causes vision problems. Starring at electronic gadgets in resting hours also adds more pressure on your eyes.
- Digestive problems and stomach ulcers- Poor sitting positions for longer hours affects your intestines and leads to several digestive problems. Poor eating habits and eating processed and easy unhealthy accessible foods also affects your intestines and increases your risk of stomach ulcers.
- Depression- Stress and depression have become very common in working people due to unusual working hours, targets, pressure from superiors at work, sleeplessness and so on. Excess stress and intake of junk foods also increase the risk of hypertension among many people.
- Obesity- Heavyweight, excess belly fat and obesity are most commonly seen in IT workers. Several factors like physical inactivity, lack of sleep, excess intake of junk foods etc. are contributing towards obesity.
- Heart problems- IT workers generally have very less physical activity, they usually spend most of their time sitting in front of their desk and this increases their risk of cholesterol. High cholesterol levels, obesity, hypertension, and stress also trigger the risk of heart problems like stroke.
Along with the above, other health risks of office work include a migraine, obesity and other workplace injuries like pollution, falls, viral and bacterial infections and so on.
How to avoid it?
One can control and avoid their office health problems to a lot extent by following few health tips like
- Sit in proper posture avoid leaning front towards your monitor
- Taking short breaks from work, getting out of the chair and getting some physical activities like warm-ups, exercises, and others.
- Avoid intake of junk foods in the break times and opt for fresh fruits and salads
- Walk to your office if it’s near, use staircase instead of lifts and be physically active
- Take short breaks and rest your eyes by looking far away from screens, blink your eyes frequently for 20 seconds.
- You can also rotate your eyes, close your eyes for some time and practice few eye exercises.
- Drink plenty of water, avoid smoking and also say no to high cholesterol foods.
- Get enough sleep and avoid late night working and parties.
- Go for regular health checkups to eliminate the risk of future chronic illnesses.