Goiter (also spelled as Goitre) to put in a simple way is the abnormal swelling of the thyroid gland which is present at the base of the neck. This lump moves up and down when touched or while swallowing. Goiter is one of the common types of thyroid disorder which is often harmless, but if the size of the lump increases or based on the severity and type of goitre may lead to few symptoms and need treatment. For all those suffering from Goitre, Homeopathy treatment is highly recommended, as it treats the condition by correcting the roots of the problem.
|Frequently asked questions|
|How does thyroid effect fertility?|
|What are the tips to overcome Hyperthyroidism?|
|How Homeopathy successfully treats Thyroid?|
What is Goiter?
As discussed above, Goiter is the enlargement of the thyroid gland. Under goiter, the whole thyroid gland may get enlarged or few people may have one or more enlarged thyroid nodules. Goiter may affect the functioning of the thyroid gland. The size or enlargement of the gland may vary for each individual. Goiter usually is a painless condition and do not cause any severe life-threatening symptoms. Whereas, in a few cases, if the goiter grows very large, it blocks trachea and leads to breathing problems. The constricted trachea also makes it difficult to swallow. The risk of Goiter is comparatively high in women than in men.
There are 3 major types of Goiter, namely
- Diffuse smooth Goiter- under this type the entire thyroid gland gets enlarged. Though the gland gets enlarged, it feels smooth when you touch.
- Nodular Goitres- Under this type fluid filled lumps which are also called as thyroid nodules develop in the thyroid gland. These nodular goitres are of two types namely
- Uninodular Goitre (only one thyroid nodule develops)
- Multinodular Goitre (two or more thyroid nodules develop)
- Retrosternal Goiter- Under this type, the lump develops behind the breastbone which further constricts windpipe, neck veins and esophagus.
What are the causes of Goiter
A number of factors can lead to goitre. Few common causes of Goitre include
- Iodine deficiency
- Thyroid cancer
- Hormonal imbalance
- Excess exposure to radiation
- Unhealthy diet
- Health conditions like Hashimoto’s disease and Graves disease
What are the symptoms of Goitre?
Though most of the people with goitre do not face any symptoms, few people with huge lump or nodule face symptoms like
- Visibility of lump near neck region
- Difficulty breathing or breathing with high pitch sound
- Difficulty swallowing
- Voice hoarseness
- Tight feeling in the throat
- Dry skin
- Hair loss
- Unusual sleeping patterns
- Abnormal i.e. heavy or light periods
- Lack of concentration
How does Homeopathy work for Goiter?
Homeopathy works very effectively in treating several thyroid problems including Goitre. Natural remedies provided by our professionals go deep inside and works by correcting the roots of the Goiter. Homeopathy also reduces the swelling of thyroid gland using non- invasive procedures and is safe and free from side effects.