8 Best foods for a healthy brain
We always take care of our weight, skin, hair and so on, then what about the brain? What do you do to improve your brain health? Do you know what we eat has a direct impact on our ability to think and memory?
The brain is the most crucial organ in our body, it acts as a control center and helps us to move, feel and think. As we age, our brain ability starts to shrink and leads to memory impairment. This particular condition is called oxidative damage. You can push back the aging process of the brain with healthy eating. Our brain needs nutrient fuel to work continuously throughout the day.
Foods rich in antioxidants, omega-3 fatty acids, flavanols, polyphenols, vitamins and minerals help to improve brain health and protect it from age- related deterioration conditions like Dementia and Alzheimer’s.
8 best power foods for a healthier brain
Below are few brain friendly foods which one should include in their diet for a healthier brain
- Salmon fish- As we all know fish, especially fatty fish like Salmon is rich in Omega-3 fatty acids which is very beneficial for our brain health. Fish also contains a few other key brain nutrients like magnesium, Zinc, vitamin B and D and choline which are crucial for healthy brain structure and optimal brain functioning.
- Nuts- Nuts like walnuts, almonds, cashews and others are rich sources of vitamin E, antioxidants and fats which are beneficial for our brain and heart health. Nuts helps to prevent the free radicals from damaging the brain cells. It is also proven that people who eat nuts regularly have a sharper memory compared to those who do not eat them. Even though all nuts are beneficial for our brain, walnuts have an extra edge over other nuts. Walnuts contain vitamin E and omega-3 fatty acids which supports brain health and the reduces risk of cognitive disorders.
- Whole grains- Though our brain is relatively smaller in size than other parts of our body, it uses around 20% of our body energy. Whole grains contain all the essential fuel which our brain needs to function properly. Whole grains promote good circulation throughout the body including the brain. Whole grains like brown rice, barley, oatmeal, brown bead and so on contains all the vitamins, fiber and antioxidants which are essential for proper functioning of the brain.
- Blueberries- Blueberries can be called as brain berries, this is because of the gallic acid present in them. Gallic acid helps to protect the brain from oxidative stress and also reduces the risk of age- related problems like Dementia and Alzheimer’s. These cute berries are also full of vitamin C, vitamin K and fiber, including them in diet regularly helps to improve motor skills and capacity to learn.
- Avocados- Avocados are full of monounsaturated fats, folate, vitamin B, C, E and potassium. All these helps to improve circulation, reduces hypertension and improves brain functioning and reduces the risk of cognitive decline. Avocados are considered to bethe best brain foods for people of all age groups.
- Pumpkin Seeds-Zinc, magnesium,copper, iron and vitamin B present in pumpkin seeds make it the best brain- boosting food. Iron deficiency is considered to be one of the major reason for impairment of brain function, whereas pumpkin seeds are rich in iron and magnesium which helps in improving memory, thinking skills and overall brain health.
- Dark chocolate- Dark chocolate contains natural stimulants like caffeine which works wonderfully in improving our focus and concentration. It also helps to improve your mood by stimulating the production of endorphins. Few brain boosting components present in dark chocolate like flavonoids and antioxidants improve learning and memory and also helps in preventing age- related degenerations.
- Oranges- Including oranges in the diet is not only beneficial for our skin and weight but is also beneficial for our brain. Vitamin C a major antioxidant present in oranges protects our brain cells from free radicals and delays age-related mental decline.