Garlic is an important aromatic and flavoring herb mostly used in Indian cuisine. It is treated as an essential ingredient in many Indian dishes. This herb not only is famous for its strong flavor, but is also quite famous for its medicinal properties. Since ancient times this herb is used in traditional medicines in many cultures. Adding garlic to our regular diet provides us several health benefits like, it reduces cholesterol levels, reduce the risk of cardiovascular diseases, prevents obesity, provides relief from stubborn cold and flu, boosts immunity, fights cancer, beneficial for skin and hair, improves bone health, prevents yeast infections, reduce the risk of Asthma attacks and also controls high sugar levels.
Today, let us discuss this superb herb and how including it in the regular diet helps to prevent many chronic health disorders.
Garlic and its nutritional facts
Garlic is one of the most popular and oldest herbs used in many cultures for thousands of years. It is native to Central Asia and is closely related to the family of onions, shallots, and cloves. Garlic covered in the white colored paper like skin can be eaten raw, roasted and can also be used as a flavoring ingredient in many dishes. Garlic cloves are actually eaten raw to get relief from cold and flu.
Garlic’s are rich source of fibre, folate, thiamine, niacin, vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin K, vitamin B6, sulfur, iron, zinc, magnesium, calcium, potassium and phosphorus.
Amazing health benefits of Garlic
- Reduce the risk of cardiovascular diseases- Garlic helps to reduce the risk of cardiovascular diseases by reducing bad cholesterol (LDL). It is also believed that eating a raw single clove of garlic daily in the morning keeps heart diseases at bay. Garlic works effectively in reducing hypertension, which is considered to be one of the common causes of heart problems.
- Prevents Obesity- If you want to lose some weight and reduce the risk of obesity, include garlic in your regular diet. It burns fat accumulations and is also low in calories. A compound present in garlic called ajoene is said to prevent the risk of obesity by converting destroying fat cells.
- Treats cold and flu- Eating raw garlic cloves provides instant relief from cold, cough and flu. The antioxidants present in garlic boosts immunity and reduce your risk of infections like flu.
- Reduce the risk of Asthma attacks- Regular intake of garlic and garlic supplements benefits us in many ways. Intake of garlic cloves with a warm glass of milk before going to sleep helps to reduce the risk of asthma attack. It treats chest tightness and induces sleep. Garlic also helps to treat allergies by improving immunity.
- Improves bone health- Garlic is said to improve bone health and prevent bone damage. It also works effectively against bony problems like arthritis and osteoporosis. Especially garlic is highly suggestible for menopausal women, it improves estrogen levels and reduces the risk of bone loss.
- Prevents Cancer- sulfur compounds and selenium present in garlic are said to have cancer-fighting properties. Intake of garlic reduces the risk of certain cancers like breast, brain, skin, lung, stomach, prostate and colon cancer.
- Beneficial for skin and hair- Garlic is also said to be beneficial for skin and hair. Garlic for skin helps by delaying signs of aging, reducing acne and treating eczema. Garlic also benefits hair, it prevents hair loss and promotes hair growth.
- Controls Diabetes- Raw garlic cloves are said to control sugar levels. It also reduces the risk of diabetes. Garlic not just controls diabetes but also prevents complications of diabetes like nephropathy and atherosclerosis.
Along with the above health benefits, garlic also reduces the risk of yeast infections, detoxifies heavy metals in the body, and prevents Alzheimer’s disease and Dementia.