Need to know about health benefits of beetroot
Beetroot also referred to as beet, is a root veggie that is gaining popularity and is enormously used nowadays. This dark maroon-colored taproot is actually treated as a superfood due to its rich nutritional profile. For those who want to shed their extra pounds, beetroot juice is highly recommended. Beetroot along with weight loss also helps in controlling Hypertension, improving heart health, maintaining a healthy weight, aids digestion, reduces bad cholesterol, lowers sugar levels, treats anemia, prevents progression of Dementia, improves skin complexion, and also gives us healthy hair.
Introduction to Beetroot
It is the taproot part of the beet plant and belongs to the Chenopodiaceous family. It is used since ancient times for its medicinal properties. Though beet is popular, in the beginning, days the green part of beetroots is used, later these taproots (Beetroot) are used as a food colorant and sugar supplement.
Coming to the nutritional part of Beetroots, these are one of the excellent sources of fiber and are rich in vitamins like vitamin A, B, C, E, and K and minerals like iron, calcium, zinc, potassium, magnesium, and phosphorus. It also contains a huge amount of folic acid.
Here are few amazing health benefits of beetroot and beetroot juice
- Beetroot juice for weight loss- Beetroot juice is the perfect option for those who are trying to lose weight. Its juice is rich in fiber, contains no fat, and talking about calories, one full medium-sized beetroot has approximately 35 to 40 calories only. All these characteristics of beetroot juice help to reduce cholesterol levels by keeping you full for longer hours and helps in maintaining a healthy weight. Most importantly this juice also improves stamina, i.e. it gives enough stamina to practice your exercises a little longer, which automatically burns fatter. It also works amazingly in treating constipation.
- Controls Hypertension- The nitrates present in Beetroot helps to controls high BP. These nitrates are converted into nitric acid, which relaxes and widens our vessels and controls high BP.
- Improves Heart health- A huge number of flavonoids, fiber, and other antioxidants present in Beetroots helps to reduce bad cholesterol and improve heart health. Potassium and nitrates present in it help to prevent heart issues like heart attack by controlling abnormal heart rhythm and circulation.
- Improves Digestion- Beetroot and its juice are linked to improving digestion. High water content and fiber present in improving digestion and treating constipation.
- Controls Diabetes- High fiber content and medium glycemic index present in beetroot help to lower sugar levels. For those who have sweet tooth and suffering from diabetes, Beetroots are like gifts for. Though it tastes sweet, it is not harmful.
- Combats Anemia- Anemia is mainly caused due to lack of iron. Beetroots are a rich source of iron and work very well in controlling anemia. Floate present in beets also helps in combating anemia.
- Prevents Dementia- Dementia is a common cognitive disorder that is seen in most elder people. Nitrate compounds present in beetroot helps to prevent this disorder by improving circulation to the brain.
- Beneficial for conceived women- Beets also contain folic acid which is said to have the ability to prevent neural tube defects in newborn babies. Hence including beets in the diet is very beneficial for conceived women.
- Benefits skin and hair- Regular consumption of beetroot and its juice help to improves skin complexion and health. It also helps in fighting free radicals and preventing skin aging.
Beetroots are also said to be beneficial for hair, they nourish the hair follicles, prevent hair fall, and also promote hair growth.
It is always recommended to take in moderate amounts or juice it mixing with other veggies.