Vitamin D, also called as sunshine vitamin is very important for our health. It does several important functions in our body like regulates absorption of calcium from diet, improves immune system, beneficial for bones and so on. It also protects our body from several illnesses like flu, multiple sclerosis, type 1 diabetes, cancers and so on. Now a day’s many individuals are facing vitamin D deficiency problem. Let us know more about vitamin D and health issues due to lack of vitamin D i.e. vitamin D deficiency.
Unlike other vitamins, vitamin D is produced in our skin when the sunlight hits our skin. Vitamin D is also acquired through our diet. Foods like fish, fish liver oil, milk, dairy products, egg yolks and grain products can provide us vitamin D. Other vitamins are not produced by our body, they can be acquired only with diet. Vitamin D is a fat soluble vitamin and it can be stored in our body but it breaks down very quickly. Exposure to sun for 10 to 15 minutes for at least 2 to 3 times per week can get us sufficient amount of vitamin D.
Health Benefits of Vitamin D
- Helps to fight diseases– Vitamin D plays a crucial role in preventing several health problems by improving immunity. Vitamin D reduces the risk of several chronic health disorders like heart diseases, multiple sclerosis and so on.
- Helps to treat depression– Vitamin D is believed to provide relief from depression by regulating and boosting mood. People with vitamin D deficiency face mood disorders like depression and anxiety.
- Helps in weight loss– People who have enough vitamin D were able to lose weight quickly than people with vitamin D deficiency. Intake of vitamin D supplements helps in losing weight and also in reducing the risk of heart diseases.
- Vitamin D also helps to improve bone and teeth health.
- Vitamin D improves immunity, health of brain and nervous system.
- Reduce the risk of diabetes by regulating insulin levels.
- Improves cardiovascular health and functioning of lungs.
- Reduce the risk of cancers by treating growth and development of cancerous tissues.
- Vitamin D helps children in their growth and development.
Causes of Vitamin Deficiency
People now a days are facing vitamin D deficiency problems due to several factors and are also at a risk of developing several health issues. Here are few common causes which lead to vitamin deficiency
- People who lack exposure to sunlight are at an increased risk of developing vitamin D deficiency.
- People who do not consume required amount of vitamins especially who are vegan, do not take dairy products, milk and so on.
- People who have darker skin are at increased risk of vitamin D deficiency as the high level of melanin pigment reduces skin ability to produce vitamin D.
- People who are obese may also face vitamin D deficiency
- People who have liver and kidney problems may not be able to convert vitamin D to its active way and face vitamin D deficiency.
- As people age, their skin may not be able to absorb the sunlight as required.
Health Problems of Vitamin D Deficiency
Vitamin D is very crucial for everyone and lack of it may lead to several health complications. Here is the list of vitamin D deficiency health problems
- Affects bone health– Vitamin D is very important for bones, it helps body to absorb calcium from the food we eat.
Vitamin D deficiency can weaken the bones and make them soft and more prone to fractures and other problems. Vitamin D deficiency leads to a condition called rickets in children and osteoporosis in adults.
- Increase the risk of Dementia and Alzheimer’s– Vitamin D deficiency can lead to abnormalities in brain structure. In elders vitamin D deficiency can increase the risk of Dementia and Alzheimer’s.
- Leads to depression– People with vitamin D deficiency are more at risk of developing mood disorders like depression and anxiety. The areas in the brain which are responsible for regulating your mood like hippocampus and others contain vitamin D receptors which get affected with low level of vitamin D and leads to depression.
- Heart diseases– Vitamin D deficiency is directly related to heart diseases. It can lead to several heart problems like heart failure, atherosclerosis, stroke, hypertension and so on. Taking vitamin D supplements may boost your heart health.
- Prostate cancer– Vitamin D deficiency in men increases their risk of developing prostate cancer up to 4 to 5 times. Especially African and American men are at an increased risk of developing prostate cancer.
- Multiple sclerosis– Vitamin D deficiency increases the risk of multiple sclerosis in young and middle aged people especially women. In people with multiple sclerosis, vitamin D deficiency can further increase the severity of the disease.
- Increase the risk of asthma– Vitamin D deficiency weakens immunity and increase the risk of flu and cols which further triggers asthma attack in people with asthma.
- Erectile dysfunction– Studies say that vitamin D deficiency can lead to erectile dysfunction by affecting arteries and also vascular functioning.
- Schizophrenia– Vitamin D deficiency can lead to several mental health disorders. It is said that about 65% of the people with schizophrenia have vitamin D deficiency. Intake of vitamin D supplements may stop further worsening of the condition and also may help to control it.
People can get rid of these deficiency problems by following vitamin D deficiency control tips like
- Getting out into sun and exposing yourself to sunlight
- Taking vitamin D supplements
- Having foods rich in vitamin D
Homeopathy for Vitamin D Deficiency
Homeopathy works very well in treating vitamin D deficiency by treating body’s inherent reaction and boosts body to heal itself. Homeopathy along with providing treatment also provides few vitamin D deficiency control tips. These homeopathy tips for vitamin D deficiency include going out into sunlight, eating vitamin D rich foods and so on.