Head lice, when we hear about it, most of us go back to our childhood, itching our scalp and getting irritated with crawling lice. About 85% of the school kids face lice problems. Lice easily spread from children to the other family members through sharing combs, caps and also through personal contact. Many people think that lack of hygiene leads to lice but it’s not true. Though lice are not severe nor they lead to any other skin disorders, getting rid of them is very important. It affects the concentration levels in children and can also lead to hair fall due to constant itching.
Let us in detail discuss lice and how we can get rid of them naturally.
What are Lice?
Lice are the tiny parasites which live and grow on our scalp and hair shafts. These lice do not jump or fly, but they crawl quickly and spread easily from one person to another. These lice lay their eggs which are also termed as nits at the bottom of the hair shaft. They reproduce really at a faster phase and hence killing both lice and lice nits is very important to get relief. They easily spread by sharing our items and also by close head to head contact with those who have lice. These lice lead to symptoms like tickling sensation and severe itching.
Today, we have come up with few natural and most effective head lice removal remedies which work as a boon for all those frustrated with lice.
Natural ways to get rid of Lice
Below are few natural and easy methods for head lice removal
- Wet Combing with a nit comb- The first and basic step for lice removal is combing hair with a fine-toothed neat comb. For this, first, clean your hair or wet your hair and take out a nice nit comb. Now starting from your forehead line, comb your hair nicely by taking small sections at a time. Repeat this process of combing and most importantly do not forget to clean the nit comb.
- Use Tea tree oil- Tea tree oil works as a natural insecticide and is highly recommended for those suffering from lice. Take one teaspoon of tea tree oil and mix it with 3 tablespoons of coconut oil and one ounce of mild shampoo and apply this to your scalp, cover it with a shower cap and leave it for 30 minutes. Now after 30 minutes wash your hair and wet comb your hair. This works as natural lice treatment and repeats this procedure frequently until you get rid of those little parasites.
- Salt and Vinegar- Take a one-quarter cup of salt and mix the same quantity of vinegar and mix it thoroughly. Apply this solution to hair completely and wear a shower cap and leave it for about 1 to 2 hours and after that wash your hair nicely.
- Use Neem oil- For all those worried about how to get rid of lice, here is another remedy for lice i.e. Neem oil. Rinse your scalp and hair with a mixture of neem oil and mild shampoo. After washing your hair immediately comb them with the nit comb.
- Olive Oil- Take olive oil and apply it gently over your scalp and hair, now put on a shower cap and leave it overnight. Next day just combs off the little lice present in your head. Wash your hair gently using a mild shampoo.Along with the above remedies make sure, you don’t share your hair equipment items with others and also make sure you sanitize all your brushes and combs. You can also use anti-lice shampoos to get rid of lice.