Impressive helath benfits of star furit
Star fruit also called Kamrakh or Carambola is a tropical yellow-green colored fruit. The most unique quality of this fruit is its shape and this is how it got its name, when you cut it in the middle it reflects the shape of a star. Apart from its unique shape, it is also loaded with several health benefits. This five angled star fruit controls hypertension, aids in weight loss by reducing cholesterol, improves digestion, boosts lactation, raises immunity, and is also beneficial for skin and hair growth. Let us in detail discuss this sweet and sour fruit and also about its benefits.
What is star fruit?
Star fruit’s scientific name is Averrhoa Carambola and is widely cultivated in India, Indonesia, the Philippines, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, and Malaysia. It is also grown in Australia, Florida, South America, and Hawaii. The whole star fruit is edible, you can enjoy it along with its skin and it is firm, crispy, and juicy.
Nutrition level in Carambola/Kamrakh
The nutritional composition of this fruit makes it healthy and popular. This fruit is just like watermelon and grapes high in 90% of water content. It is low in calories and also has several other nutrients like fiber, vitamin C, vitamin B5, protein, copper, iron, zinc, folate, magnesium, potassium, vitamin B6, and riboflavin. Furthermore, it also contains plenty of antioxidants and flavonoids.
Unbelievable health benefits of star fruit
Here are few unbelievable and amazing star fruit benefits
- Improves Immunity- Star fruit contains good amounts of vitamin C which is a potent antioxidant and helps to fight several infections like cold flu and free radicals by boosting immunity.
- Helps in weight loss- For all those trying to shed some extra pounds, star fruit is a great choice. It is low in calories and has dietary fiber which keeps you full for a longer period and eliminates unwanted munching between meals. The high water content also keeps you hydrated. The juice of this kamrakh fruit contains copper which helps to control cholesterol if taken regularly.
- Regulates BP and improves heart health- Nutrients present in star fruit like potassium and sodium helps to control BP by relieving tension from vessels and arteries. These nutrients also help to maintain a healthy heart by regulating heartbeat and healthy flow. Vitamin B9 and polyphenols present in this carambola fruit protects your heart and prevents heart attack and stroke.
- Beneficial for skin- Star fruit contains vitamin C, zinc, and several other nutrients which are very beneficial for skin and helps in getting glowing and radiant skin. You can eat the fruit or apply it to the skin, both ways it does wonders for your skin. It controls acne, eczema, reduces wrinkles, delays signs of aging, and also keeps your skin moisturized.
- Promotes healthy hair growth- This is one of the best fruits for hair, it is high in vitamin C, antioxidants, and vitamin B complex, and others promote strong and healthy hair growth.
- Promotes lactation- This fruit is especially beneficial for nursing mothers as it boosts the flow of milk.
- Improves eyesight- Vitamin A present in star fruit helps to improve your eyesight and also reduces the risk of several eye problems like cataracts and macular degeneration.
This star fruit is rich in oxalate and people with kidney disorders should avoid consuming it. People who are on certain medications are also suggested to avoid this fruit and also talk to their doctor before consuming it.