Depression is a psychological disorder which affects individual’s thoughts, behaviour, feelings and also overall wellbeing negatively. It is a serious health condition where people feel sad, in low mood and also worthless continuously for a long period of time. Though the feelings like sad, lack of interest, changes in appetite, anxiety and other daily activities are commonly seen, but when these feelings and state of mind continue for longer periods, it is treated as depression. Depression affects individuals differently ranging from mild to severe. People with depression also face sleeping disorders and also have suicidal thoughts. Depression not just affects mentally but also affects individuals physically like they may also experience weakness and tiredness.
Depression can affect people of all age groups and is most commonly seen in women when compared to men. Depression is most commonly seen in teenagers and it is called as teen depression. People with depression face lack of interest, lack of concentration, low self confidence and also withdraw themselves from the activities which they were interested in before. Depression not just affects the individuals who are facing it but also affects their family members and loved ones.
There are different types of depression like major depression, persistent depressive disorder, psychotic depression, postpartum depression, seasonal effective disorder and also bipolar disorder.
Causes of Depression
While the exact cause of depression in not known yet, but it is believed that many factors can lead to depression. It is believed that abnormalities in brain structure and chemical functioning may affect individuals and lead to depression. It is also believed that few alters in neural circuit activities may also lead to depression. Along with above, depression is also caused due to several factors. Here are few risk factors of depression, like
- Genetics or family history increases the risk of depression
- Physical abuse or trauma
- Personal issues like divorce, loss of loved one, financial problems and problems with relation.
- Work load and pressure
- Health illnesses
- Injuries especially head injuries
- Physical disability
- High competition and expectation
- Post partum depression
Few people also feel depressed with the change in weather i.e. especially in cold weather like winter and this is because of lack of exposure to sun. This type of depression gets solved automatically when the weather gets sunny.
Symptoms of Depression
Symptoms of depression vary according with the severity of the problem, symptoms can range from mild to severe. Here are few common symptoms found in people suffering from depression
- Low mood and reduced interest
- Feeling sad and anxious
- Low self confidence and hopelessness
- Loss of appetite and weight loss
- Lack of concentration and reduced decision making
- Body aches and headache
- Sleeplessness like insomnia
- Suicidal thoughts
- Isolating themselves
Tips to avoid Depression Problems
Even though depression is a serious health illness, it can be treated and also can be managed with few lifestyle changes. One can boost their mood by making few life style changes and following few tips to avoid depression like
- Get adequate sleep– sleep is very important to make you feel fresh and helps to remove stress and anxiety. Though people with depression may not be able to get enough sleep but it is important to rest well. Sleep helps in boosting mood and preventing depression. Sleep also improves our immunity system and keeps us healthy. Set timings and try to follow them to avoid sleeplessness. Sleeplessness can further worsen the condition.
- Eat healthy diet– healthy diet makes you feel healthy and also lift your mood. It is said that omega 3 fatty acids in fish and folic acid present in spinach and avocado helps to reduce depression and it symptoms. In few cases people with depression tend to eat more and for those it is important to control their appetite by watching what and how much they are eating to be healthy.
- Exercise regularly– exercising is very important for people with depression, regular physical exercises helps to increase the production of endorphins and helps to boost your mood. Regular exercises help to remove stress and make you feel refreshed and also work effectively in eliminating the symptoms of depression. Do some yoga, meditation and other activities which help to calm you and improves mood.
- Get involved in activities– get yourself indulged in your favourite activities and also set few goals and keep yourself away from negative thoughts and behaviour. Involving in your favourite activities or learning a new thing helps you to be busy and removes stress.
- Be with family and friends– spend time with your family and friends, it helps to share your feelings, reduce stress and also lifts your mood.
- Get some sunlight– it is said that lack of exposure to sunlight may increase the risk of depression among many individuals and leads to seasonal affective disorder. This type of disorder in cold weather seasons. Exposure to sunlight helps to lift your mood and prevent depression. We get vitamin D from sunlight and it also helps to improve immunity and prevent several illnesses.
- Regulate your sugar levels– it is believed that sugar levels in your body affects your mood and increase the risk of depression. It is suggested that people who are battling with depression should monitor their sugar levels. In order to avoid the symptoms of depression it is very important to have your meals and protein rich foods to improve mood and also are asked not to skip their meals as it may worsen the feeling.
Homeopathy for Depression Problems
Homeopathy is a natural way of treating depression problems. Homeopathy remedies for depression are made of natural substances extracted from plants, vegetables and also other natural minerals. Homeopathy works very effectively in lifting the mood by controlling stress and anxiety. Homeopathy along with treatment also provides several tips to avoid depression problems. These homeopathy health tips for depression are safe and side effects free. Homeopathy along with treating depression also aims at improving overall wellbeing by boosting immunity system.